Our Savior Lutheran Church is a Stephen Ministry Congregation!
Stephen Ministers are members of our congregation who receive special training to provide one-on-one Christian care to people in our congregation and community who are experiencing grief, loneliness, divorce, hospitalization, disability, job loss, and many other life difficulties.
Our Mission Statement: Our Stephen Ministry exits to serve God by equipping His people to bring Christ’s healing love in a very tangible way to hurting people.
To learn how to become—or receive care from—a Stephen Minister, talk to a pastor or one of our Stephen Leaders in person or call the church office @ 701-852-6404.
A new Stephen Minister training session will begin on November 1st, 2016.
CLICK HERE for the Stephen Minister Application.
Our Stephen Leaders:
Our Stephen Ministers:
What Is Stephen Ministry?
Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ (Galatians 6:2, NRSV).
Stephen Ministry is the one-to-one lay caring ministry that takes place in congregations that use the Stephen Series system.
Stephen Ministry congregations equip and empower lay caregivers—called Stephen Ministers—to provide high-quality, confidential, Christ-centered care to people who are hurting.
How Stephen Ministry Works
The best way to understand how Stephen Ministry works is to learn about three groups of people involved in this ministry: Stephen Leaders, Stephen Ministers, and care receivers.
- build awareness of Stephen Ministry within the congregation and community
- recruit and train Stephen Ministers
- meet with potential care receivers to assess their needs
- match care receivers with Stephen Ministers
- provide Stephen Ministers with ongoing supervision and continuing education
People learn to serve as Stephen Leaders by attending a Leader’s Training Course—a one-week conference that introduces the resources used to lead Stephen Ministry, develops key skills, and gets people excited about this caring ministry. Most congregations begin with two to four Stephen Leaders, typically including a pastor, possibly another church staff person, and one or more lay leaders.
- What Is a Stephen Minister?—Stephen Ministers describe how much they grow from serving in this ministry.
- Stephen Minister Training—“The Best 50 Hours of Training You’ll Ever Experience!”
Some important guidelines for this caring relationship protect both the care receiver and the Stephen Minister:
- The relationship between a care receiver and a Stephen Minister is confidential.
- Men are matched with men; women with women.
- When a care receiver’s needs exceed what a Stephen Minister can provide, the Stephen Ministry team makes a referral to an appropriate mental health professional or other community resource.
Stephen Ministry Is Built to Last
You’ll find Stephen Ministry in congregations from more than 160 Christian denominations, across the U.S. and Canada and in 29 other countries.
Stephen Ministry is built to last—going strong for over 20 or even 30 years in hundreds of congregations.
Since Stephen Ministries was founded in 1975:
- More than 12,000 congregations have enrolled in the Stephen Series.
- More than 70,000 pastors and lay leaders from those congregations have been equipped at Leader’s Training Courses.
- More than 600,000 laypeople have received Stephen Minister training.
- More than one-and-a-half-million people have had a Stephen Minister to walk with them, providing one-to-one Christian care during tough times.